Saturday, January 30, 2010

Going to a Party

While I was ill, the weather grew warmer. Now that I'm feeling better, it's gotten colder again. Lovely. It means that I needed to wear my heavy dress coat in order to attempt to prevent freezing in route to the party. It's not that my car doesn't get warm, because it does, but I don't like starting my car and letting it sit to warm up. Besides, I didn't know if I would need to walk around outside after parking my car and before getting inside. The coat is of the thick, heavy, woolen type of years gone by. It's dark colored and dressy, but it's not all that stylish I guess. Still, I would rather be warm than look cool.

As things turn out, there aren't street lights in the part of River Hills I was to go to for the party. In all honesty, I'm not all that familiar with River Hills, so maybe they don't have street lights at all. Even without lighting, my map was good enough to lead me directly to the house, well, mansion where the party was being held. This place was huge and modern and it looked like something out of a movie to me. It didn't look like a building I'd expect to see in Wisconsin. The building looked like boxes of different sizes assembled together. With the snow and the white of the building blending as they do, it looked quite odd indeed. I wondered if they had someone shovel off their flat roofs because the accumulation couldn't be good for the building in the long run.

The overhangs hold shadows, covering the windows in darkness. Small polite lights did their part to illuminate the path to the door but it did nothing to dispel the gloom. My frozen shoes clacked loudly on the pavement as I approached, alone and cold, excited and nervous, keen to get in and not being able to wait to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment