Sunday, January 31, 2010

At Least Now I'm Inside

I was encouraged inside by a butler, a tall thin officious looking individual, sharp of suit and hair neat of trim. Still, he was friendly and took my coat, passing it off to some other underling for storage. I'm always uncomfortable giving up my coat like that. I've the strange fear that I'll never get it back.

The entry hall was attractive but cold, literally and figuratively. There was still a lot of shades of white on display and the highlight colors were also pale. This contrasted with the dark, detailed rug leading from the front door into the next room. I gaped at the room until the butler politely encouraged me to join the party.

A butler? Who has a butler? I'm not sure if that's creepy or super neat. It does have a certain old school quality to it. It's just a job. Hope they get paid well.

The main room was overwhelming. A vast crowd of people laughed and chatted around a room that would have reminded me of the nineteen sixties had I been alive then. It reminded me of pictures I'd seen of 'hip' places during that period of time. The color scheme was similar to the front room, lots of contrast between large areas of white and splashes of dark color. Most of the furniture was located in a 'pit', a section of the room set three steps lower than the rest, warmed by the closeness of the fireplace to it. Abstract art illuminated the walls. A grand piano filled the other side of the room, the food and drink arranged near it.

I was immediately lost. No familiar faces appeared to me in the bubbling crowd about me. My suit suddenly felt insufficiently dressy. I began searching for a corner to curl up in but the room seemed curved and lacking such items.

“There you are!” I jumped with the suddenness of Cuthbold's voice. “It certainly took you long enough.” My mouth opened but a dismissive wave closed it. “Never mind all that now. Come and meet our hosts.”

We weaved our way through the mass of humanity, heading for the vicinity of the piano. I became aware that our destination was a tall, lean man whose hair was graying, even his neatly clipped beard. His dark blue suit was crisp and stylish. A deep booming laugh revealed brilliant white teeth made that much brighter in contrast with his tanned skin. When the opening presented itself, Cuthbold dragged me in. “Dr. Castillo? This is Patrick Thompson, our IT lead.”

“Ah, a computer man!” His handshake was steady and firm. “Excellent to hear. I've been experiencing some issues with my computer of late. Might you have a moment to look at it?” My smile must have wavered slightly as Dr. Castillo laughed loudly. “I am sorry my new friend but I could not resist the opportunity. You must hear that often, no? I receive a similar response when people hear that I have a doctorate. They assume I am a medical doctor although I am not.”

“Has anyone gotten offended when they ask you to give them a checkup and you say you can't?”

“Quite frequently. They claim that I am lying about my education simply because I do not wish to help them. Occasionally they will argue that I am not being cool.” He glanced to his left. “Ah. Patrick, if I may refer to you in a casual manner, may I introduce my wife? This is Rosalind Romero.”

She turned to face me.

Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment