Wednesday, January 27, 2010

'Invitation'

“Not doing anything on Friday are you?” Cuthbold asked. Without waiting for the answer, he continued. “Good, good.” I didn't recall having anything planned for Friday night but the idea of spending that evening shaking off the last of my cold appealed to me. I liked the idea of just resting. I was not allowed to articulate this position. As I began to protest, Cuthbold became a bit serious. It almost came to the point where he had to remove his glasses as part of a Serious Gesture. “Whatever it may be, cancel it. Your presence is required at this party.” Before I could comment on the short notice, I was cut off again. “You would have gotten the invitation last week but you were out ill that day. I know a week is still a bit short notice but we received the information a bit late ourselves.” His gaze grew distant. “One of our major contributors might be looking to up their donation. We need that funding Patrick.” He gave me the Serious Look again, this time accompanied by the removal of the glasses gesture to drive the point home. “Need that funding or jobs may be lost.”

I can take a hint. Things are a bit tight and no one is indispensable. I agreed. “Good!” The glasses were returned to his face. “Look forward to seeing you there. Dress well. Very well.” With that, he left me be.

No comments:

Post a Comment