Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Been Sick

I know a number of teachers. I suppose that's an obvious statement really as I work in an educational facility. I'm not a teacher insomuch that I don't have a class that I speak to or anything like that. With all the interns I have, teaching is part of what I do. Teachers tend to exist in a petri dish of illness, swimming in all the diseases that their students bring in. For some reason, I never seem to get sick like some of the teachers get sick. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I have a stronger immune system or perhaps I just don't get as exposed to as much of a mix of people than some teachers. The majority of my illnesses are really no big deal and I can continue to work through them, perhaps just spending more time in my office so as to lessen my impact on the rest of the group.

When I get Sick, I get Sick.

Some monster cold grabbed hold of me last week and knocked me low. I can tell it's bad when I decide I need to call in sick to work. I just don't do that. I think, on average, people are good for a few sick days a year, whether it's a physical illness or a mental health sort of thing. In the past decade I think I may have missed ten days, maybe, if that. I have to be Sick before I call in, so take that as a sign of how I felt.

If television and stand-up comics have taught me anything it is that men tend to become babies when they become ill, demanding that a woman take care of them. If this is true, then I am different in this regard as well. I just curl up in a ball and want to be left alone. Well, I don't mind being taken care of a bit but I don't pout and sulk and all that until someone does so.

That's why I thought it odd that Julia came over with lovely warm soup. It seemed very out of nowhere as I hadn't told her, or Chris for that matter, that I was ill. As it turns out, I told Sarah Jean in a communication that I don't even remember having with her and she told Julia, who then came to check on me. Which was nice. It was also nice to 'see' Sarah Jean and Julia getting along. I wasn't sure Julia liked her. There was some... unpleasantness when they met. Julia might blame me for that and, if so, rightfully so.

Feeling better now. Lots of work email to go through. Not enjoying that.

No comments:

Post a Comment