Monday, December 28, 2009

Confused But Not Entirely Unhappy

Sarah Jean had been sitting next to me on the couch in the living room for most of the evening. I occasionally had my right arm on the back of the couch or near her but we weren't spooning or anything like that, we were just in each other's proximity. Comfortable. She rose to go do something or other. She said she'd be right back but didn't express to where she was off. I probably didn't want to know anyway. As she rose, she bumped into the end table and knocked something from it, a remote or something, nothing that sounded like it broke. At the sound, I turned to see what had happened.

Now, there are two basic ways to bend over and pick something up. There's the way where you bend at the knees and lower your entire person down to collect the item in question. There's also the way where you hinge at the hips and your upper section heads down to the ground to collect the item. You look a bit like a 'V' this way. This is not a recommended method of picking things up but can be useful for collecting small objects quickly. It has the side effect of sticking your butt out. Guess which method Sarah Jean chose?

The remote fell. Sarah Jean bent over to pick it back up. I turned to see what happened. Bam! There's Sarah Jean's posterior inches from my face.

Now, I didn't say anything. Not a peep. I may be dumb but I'm not stupid. I was even planning to turn away quickly.

Here's the problem: my friend Sarah Jean is telepathic. She's told me that she is skilled at filtering out background thoughts from people around her, she said they sound like whispers, and she doesn't just pop herself into people's heads to see what they're thinking. I believe her. I have no reason to not believe her. She's also mentioned that some thoughts are like 'shouts' and are ignore, especially as they tend to be the communications people make in moments of crisis. “Help!” and things like that. Evidently I shouted something in my head when I turned and saw her like that. She turned on me and gave me one of those shocked 'how dare you!' looks before stomping away.

Now I don't remember really thinking anything specific. I don't recall having, like, a dirty thought or anything. I'm guessing that I had a 'Wow!' or a 'Yowzah!' sort of thought which, under the circumstances, was not inappropriate. Not an inaccurate thought anyway. I remember it being a very nice sight indeed.

At this point in time, I don't know what exactly bothered Sarah Jean in my reaction. She's still talking to me and, after some brief coolness in her reaction to me, things have gone back to more or less normal. I did try to bring it up but was quickly informed that 'now is not the time'. I've tried to not think about it but it's bugging me.

What exactly did I do wrong here?

No comments:

Post a Comment