Saturday, March 22, 2014

Nobody Said Anything About Limits


The silence that followed was forever. To me anyway. The little fella just stared at me. Without speaking to me, he cracked open another of my bottles of whiskey and took a long gulp. When he looked at me again, it was from the corner of his eye, unable to fully look at me. “You've got the wrong fella. My magic doesn't work like that.”

“What if I wish for how to phrase the wish?”

“Lad, I'm sorry. I can't raise the dead. I could give you money and trick you out of it. I could provide you with fame and make it hollow. There are loads of ways you could find out wishes aren't all they're cracked up to be. This one's outside my ability.”

“That's not fair.” I choked on the words. Inhaling normally was beyond my abilities at that moment.
“You didn't say anything about limits on the wishes. Nobody said anything about limits.”

“I'm sorry; honestly I am.”

“It's not fair,” I repeated. “I'm cold inside.”

“You know lad, there is something I could do for you.”

Suddenly he had my full attention again. “Yes? What?”

“I dunno that you'll like it.”

“Try me.”

“I can take her away from you.”

I directed a strange look in his direction. I couldn't understand him. She's already...gone. “Huh?”

“I can take her memories from you. There'd be nothing there to make you hurt. Well, you'd have to remember her a little bit, otherwise people'd mention her and you'd be all 'who's that?' and they'd think you'd gone mad and all that. Can't have that now can we? All the detail'd be gone. You'd remember her name and what she looked like and that but none of the stuff that's breaking your heart at the moment. How about that?”

No comments:

Post a Comment