Monday, October 4, 2010

This Should Be No Big Deal

The campus bar is not large. It's not really meant for large groups of people. It's handy, convenient, but there are so many bars in Milwaukee that there's no need for it to be really large. It goes well with the four lane bowling alley next to it.

Mid-week, mid-afternoon, mid-summer all combined to equal a mostly empty bar. Thankfully it was open as I had said. After I said it would be, it occurred to me that it often closes down during summer for remodeling and cleaning. While business gets slack during this time, it never goes away. Once Professor Smith-Smythe caught sight of the bar, his pace increased. He sped past me, making a bee line for a booth in the back. I gave a smile and wave to Big Ken the bartender who was in the midst of cleaning glasses. He nodded a response and met us at the table. “What can I do for you gentlemen today?”

“Gin and tonic,” the Professor responded. “You needn't be too liberal with the tonic.” He then winked rather obviously.

If this request seemed unusual to Big Ken, he didn't show it. He nodded to acknowledge it and turned to me. “Root beer,” I requested.

The Professor reacted rather energetically to this, forcing Ken to wait. “No, wait, I say, 'root beer'?” He repeated this a few more times, which made me wonder for a moment if he'd never heard of it before. “Dash it, you're not saying you're going to make me drink alone are you?”

“I'll be right here, you won't be alone.” Before he could argue my admittedly pedantic response, I added “I'm not allowed to drink while I'm at work.”

“What the deuce is the point of having an establishment such as this so convenient if you can't have a drink or two during lunch?” He sulked. “I can't drink alone, it's just not done.” A thought occurred to him and he perked up. “Say, you're supposed to be showing me around, right?” I confirmed this was the case. “And this is the end of the tour, yes?” More or less, he was correct. “If that's the case you're done with your work for the day, aren't you?” Triumphant, he turned to Big Ken. “Beer for him.” Being a good man, Big Ken waited for me to confirm this was acceptable before he returned to the bar. I was not fond of the idea, but this was the best mood I'd seen the Professor in and it didn't seem wise to break it. Besides, Cuthbold wants the Professor to have a good time, to go away with a favorable impression of the school, so, in a way, I'm just following orders. It'll just be the one.

One drink never hurt anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment