Thursday, August 5, 2010

Glad to Be Here

“Oh good, you made it.” Idly rubbing at my pinch, I turned to see it was Scott's wife Natalie talking to me. I greeted her warmly and there was the exchange of a hug. “How are you?”

“I'm well. Yourself?”

“Tired. There's always so much to do to get ready for these parties.”

“In that case, let me now express my gratitude for all your efforts before I forget.”

She smiled. “Thank you.” She paused, watching her husband animatedly telling Sarah Jean a story. Sarah Jean was laughing, not one of those polite laughs but an 'oh my goodness, really?' sort of laugh. Whatever the story, I'm sure it's about me. “I'm glad he's enjoying himself. He's working very hard at work right now. The company says it's having trouble and...” She paused, then dispelled this downward trend in the conversation with a smile. “He deserves a good day. I'm glad you could make it.”

I smiled back. “So am I.”

No comments:

Post a Comment