Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Oh Dear

The closer we drew to Set, the more pervasive the green glow became, infusing everything with a green hue. It was not particularly appealing. While we expressed our concerns over it, Mr. Thorndyke was once again unworried. “It's just a symbol of his strength,” he declared. “It cannot harm us yet.” When I asked how he knew that to be so, Mr. Thorndyke just walked into the glow and smoke, showing himself to be unharmed. It made us follow him so it was hard to argue with his success in this regard.

Set was still in the main gem room. He'd gotten a chair from somewhere and was calmly sitting in it as we poked our heads around the corner. He looked like he might be asleep.

We pulled back. “You remember the pattern?” Ms. Chapman checked. We all nodded, apart from Larry who just stared. When he was nudged, he smiled brightly and nodded. “Good because once he realizes what we're trying to so, he's likely to resist.”

“I would,” I mumbled.

We stepped quietly and carefully into the room, working to stay behind Set and out of his line of sight. Glances were exchanged to line ourselves up properly. It was really difficult to maneuver in the room as the air was so very green. It even tasted green, although I'm not sure how that was so. Light and shadow didn't seem to act properly. It was very disorientating.

One of us had to walk 'in front' of Set with their sculpture and lucky me got to be the one to lead that charge. Once I reached what I felt was the edge of his vision, I paused, concerned over what might next occur. I just needed a moment to take a deep breath before I was about to put my life on the line. Harry caught my eye and gestured energetically for me to continue. I nodded and took that step forward.

“Who dares disturb the slumber of Set?” bellowed the creature from the chair. I froze in place. Mentally I knew I should hurry to my position, still try to trap him, but his voice had stopped me cold.

Slowly Set stood and turned to face us. “It was most kind of you to try to not wake me from my meditations but I was aware of you from the time you reentered the exhibit.” The wicked smile on his face was focused on Mr. Thorndyke. “I wish I could say it was a pleasure to see you again but we both know that would be a lie.”

“We couldn't have that,” Mr. Thorndyke stated. “Good thing you held your tongue.”

“What brings you here,” demanded Set.

Mr. Thorndyke shrugged his shoulders. “You no doubt. To assist in dismissing you.” Rapidly, he brought the picture he'd removed from the wall from behind his back. This stylized drawing of an Eye staggered Set. “Now!” cried Mr. Thorndyke.

It took a moment to realize what he meant and react properly. While Mr. Thorndyke continued to point this image at Set, we scrambled into position with our jars, arraigning them as designed. After some minor adjustments, the sculptures glowed slightly. They were active.

Realizing this, Mr. Thorndyke advised us to cease our adjustments and hid the eye from Set's view. A chuckle emerged from Set. “Is this old trick all you have? Pitiful.”

“I don't see you creating anything new.” Having thusly retorted, Mr. Thorndyke leaned over to Larry, muttering in his ear. Larry began rummaging in his bag of tricks.

Set just continued to laugh. “My will has not been thwarted. My will shall yet be done.”

The gun men entered the room from the corner from which we entered. Immediately my eyes checked on the other exit to the room. There I found the mummy. Oh bother.

“Free me!” he demanded. “Free me so that all may be united in Set!”

No comments:

Post a Comment