Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Volunteered

“We're doing what now?”

Cuthbold sighed. “Oh, do pay attention Patrick. The university is providing staff assistance to the upcoming fundraising event at the Museum.”

“Volunteers,” I translated. “And I've already been volunteered, haven't I?”

“I've never known you to turn down an opportunity to assist the Museum before. I put your name down immediately upon receiving the information from the Museum.” He frowned. “Did they offend in some way?”

“No, it's nothing like that,” I reassured. “I was just planning on attending the event.”

Cuthbold was still confused. “You will be attending the event.”

“Yes but I was planning to attend the event as a customer not as a volunteer.”

“Eitherway you are contributing to the fundraising events of the Museum,” Cuthbold declared, his beaming smile indicating that, in his mind at least, all had been settled. “This way you also get to assist the maintenance of our good relationship with that institution.”

“I bet this way I get less beer,” I grumbled beneath my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment