Saturday, February 13, 2010

Picking Up the Check

For the record, saying 'weather permitting' during Winter in Wisconsin might as well mean 'we will reschedule'. As I watched the snow fall later that afternoon, I could think of nothing but being snowed in at the mansion, a mixed blessing to say the least. I called to say 'tomorrow okay?' and there was no problem with that concept, apart from Cuthbold and his eagerness to get that check.

By Friday evening, the snow was no longer falling and the roads were mostly cleared. I didn't really want to have a large check in my possession over the weekend but it's not like someone could steal it and cash it in. It's a check. It's not like I could cash it and run off to Mexico with the money.

Mental note: Make no such joke while there. If Ms. Romero were to hear such an idea, she may insist upon it happening.

Unsurprisingly, the roads in River Hills were clean, the snow perfectly removed as if it had never fallen in the first place. The path to the mansion door was also meticulously clean. It still felt like I was stepping into something. Feeling nervous seemed logical despite there being nothing to be nervous about. I'd go into the hallway, Dr. Castillo would give me the check, we'd chat for a moment, and I'd be off. No problem.

Except that I knew it would never be as easy as that.

The Butler greeted me at the door and bid me to enter, no different from my arrival to the party except I'm not dressed as nicely, having come directly from work. This made the Butler seem that much better dressed. “If you would just step into the living room, the Mistress of the House will take care of you.”

Mistress? “But I'm here to see Dr. Castillo,” I protested.

“Unfortunately, the Master of the House has yet to return from his day of business.” The Butler gestured again towards the living room. “Just through there sir.” Then he walked away! Back to wherever Butlers go hide when they're not needed, but I needed him to protect me. For a moment, I considered saying something, but he disappeared before I could think of anything beyond 'help'.

Looking at the living room door, I knew to be nervous. This was going to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment