Monday, February 8, 2010

The Day Started Well Enough

I give a lot of tours of the campus. At least it seems like I do this with some regular frequency. I've been told I provide an interesting experience. One of the advantages that I have over most of the other people associated with the school is that I've been here for years in different roles. I've been student and employee, thereby seeing more of the campus than the others. I have stories and I'm not afraid to tell them., assuming of course that the tourees want to hear those stories.

Dr. Castillo and Rosalind Romero, for being such busy people, wanted to hear the stories, all of them. If I hesitated, they would cajole me into telling it. If it looked like a thought crossed my mind, they would push me to catch up to it and express it. At first I was uncomfortable, especially given how I left their party and why, but after a few minutes, all was well. I told them about the rumors surrounding the dismissal of Professor White and my role in that dismissal, the time I had the Na'Dar gal 'glued' to me, and where the Glump broke through the wall to begin his rampage in the city. They did a good job fixing that wall; if I hadn't been there when it happened I wouldn't have guessed it was in that room.

They made it easy to tell these stories. When the story was funny, they laughed enthusiastically. If it was scary, they gasped. Sad and there would be tears.

There were also no real signs of flirtation from Ms. Romero. That helped. Oh she would smile and I'd blush a little or she'd rest her hand on my arm or she'd tease me a bit but that's clearly just her way. She's tactile and funny and sweet. Sure I jumped a bit the first time she touched me but she wasn't grabbing me or anything, just making contact. Maybe she was a little overcharged on the fruit of the vine at the party. These things happen. No big deal.

It was my job for the day to make them happy. Busy as I heard they are I expected them to want the quick version of the tour which still takes an hour if it's going to be comprehensive. Thankfully I booked myself to be with them all day because that's what it took. As we wandered through the empty laboratories on the north end of campus, no sunlight was left to beam through the large windows in the room. My feet were sore from walking, my mouth was dry from talking, but we were nearly done with what looked to be a successful day.

It all happened so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment