Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Do What Now?

“Hey, can I ask a favor?”

I looked up slowly from my papers, staring at Dave as if over glasses I was not wearing. I hoped I looked Rather Serious as I had no clue where this question would lead us. “You can ask,” I slowly replied, emphasizing the word 'ask'.

Apparently the Look had the effect I desired as Dave immediately became more visibly nervous, shuffling his feet and toying with a stray pencil in the mess on my dash. “Well, ya see, remember that day off I got scheduled for next Friday?” I nodded slowly, still wondering where this was headed. “Yeah, well, we're going camping that weekend, me and some of my friends, and, well, I kinda need your help.”

I was still confused. I don't camp. It doesn't appeal to me. Long ago I had a friend talk me into it after months of explaining how awesome it was. I went on a long hike where I saw nothing but trees and got eaten by mosquitoes. The campfire idea sounded fun but it rained that night as well as the bulk of the next day. While I'm sure that every camping trip isn't like that, the experience was miserable enough for me to lose any remaining interest in camping. Without resorting to this level of detail, I briefly explained my lack of qualification, as well as lack of interest in sitting in a field.

Dave quickly explained further. “My folks have a cabin up north that we're going to. My dad was going to go with us but now he has to work. He won't let us go without a responsible adult to supervise.”

Two questions came quickly to mind. Why do you need a chaperone? I'm a responsible adult? I remained confused for a moment until possible reasons began to occur to me. “Does he need someone to guard his liquor cabinet?”

“Mostly I think. He won't give me the keys to the cabin. Can you help?”

I considered this for a moment. Sarah Jean was visiting this weekend so it was unlikely that she'd be back next weekend as well. I should be free and the fresh air would do me some good. It wasn't like I didn't have personal days I needed to use up. “I'll talk to your dad and see what he expects,” I decided.

Dave brightened. “Thank you sir.”

I am clearly too nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment