Wednesday, October 20, 2010

We're Doing What Now?

Everything worked out. The laptop probably needed to be reimaged anyway and, thankfully, Professor Pedrina had connected to the network causing the file synchronization program to run, updating his files on the network drive. Mrs. Schwanke was in a meeting and didn't notice any additional downtime due to the delay. Billy and I had a conversation about 'reading' and 'focus' and moved on from there.

“He never explained what caused the mix-up?” Jen asked.

“It's Billy,” I responded.”I don't think he knew. It just... happened.”

Jen shook her head as she worked on her drink. “He was talking to me. The reimage was my ticket.” This confused me and I requested more information. “Billy had a question about where Mrs. Schwanke's desk was and I was the only one around to ask. After he stumbled around waiting for someone else to return for a few minutes, I finally asked him what he wanted. He fumbled, stumbled, called me 'honey' at one point, tried to lean over my desk, almost fell, dropped his ticket and managed to grab my ticket when he picked up his. I'm not sure he'd ever spoken to a woman before.”

I couldn't help but laugh at that. Finally I responded with “Oh my. Well, I suppose that explains why he was more confused than normal.”

“Am I that intimidating?” she questioned.

This question confused me slightly. What exactly did she mean by 'intimidating'? I fought for as neutral a response as possible, which was a bit of a struggle given the situation. “I hesitate to speculate on anything regarding Billy and his reaction to people.” This answer seemed to satisfy her.

Awkwardly, Professor Smith-Smythe leaned over the table to speak with me. This involved having to politely wave Jen away and sprawl around glasses and napkins and such. This action managed to rob him of most of his dignity. “Thanks for the tour old man. Best one yet. Must dash.”

This declaration threw me off completely. “Are you okay to drive?” I asked, ignoring any compliment that may have been directed at me.

“Not to worry, my new friend is providing the transport.” He grinned wickedly and winked. “Ta.” Surprisingly quickly, they were gone.

While I was shocked, Jen was confused. “What just happened?”

“I think Professor Smith-Smythe just picked up your friend.” Admittedly I was torn between two responses, a 'that is so wrong' as well as a 'lucky dog'.

Jen also had dogs on her mind, although from her exclamation, it was the female of the species she had in mind. “That's just wrong! And creepy! And she was my ride home.”

“Do you have far to go?” I checked.

She was still sulking. “No, but it'll feel like it in this heat.”

There was nothing else for it. “I can take you home.” She politely protested and I politely insisted and that slowly become the decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment