Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Closing Down

The project became much less complicated once they had got going. Numbers were written down. Tonight's numbers were higher than the readings they had taken that afternoon, a fact that Harry declared was a Good Thing. They managed to find the time to stop in earlier in the day. Why could I manage it? They took a few pictures, took some readings with a device that looked like the bulky old calculators of my childhood with a small spinning disk atop it, thanked me numerous times, and left me be. Not even fifteen minutes and I was returned to my proper volunteering without really missing much.

Just before closing time, an even coordinator breezed past the table. Did we understand how to pack up? Was there anything already emptied and ready to go? Had things gone well? We have a good time? Any questions? Just as quickly, she was off to the next table.

We started celebrating a job well done. We poured ourselves a few 'samples', cleaned up, packed up, had another sample. Hands were shaken, hugs were exchanged, we thanked each other for helping get us all through the night. Good times.

As we walked to the escalator to leave, I tapped my pockets as I will do in order to check their contents. Something was missing. The rechargeable batteries I'd brought for my camera. I'd briefly lent them to Tim for his camera and then I'd set them down... I excused myself from the group, thanked and cheered them again, before returning to Morocco.

Morocco isn't far from the down escalator. The escalator is right outside the entrance to the African exhibit hall and the area that represents Morocco is, well, the first hallway curves to the right and then straightens out, but if you turn left there's Morocco. It's not far. I'm not good at judging distances, sorry.  It's close enough than Dorothy offered to wait for me and I said not to bother. I know they were tired. Besides, I wasn't completely sure where I'd left the batteries but I was sure I had left them behind.

I walked back, triple checking my pockets, and relaxed. There was no one else to be seen. For a moment, even if it would just be a moment, I had the place to myself. I liked that. It was a little creepy at the same time. There was a feeling of 'not supposed to be there' even though I could be there. After the rush of humanity I'd experienced over the past few hours, having a moment to myself was nice.

Once again in the Morocco courtyard, I pondered the situation. I didn't have the batteries. I had gotten them back and, for some daft reason, set them down rather than just returning them to my pocket. The tables had been folded up and were leaning up against the video case, waiting to be collected. No one else had mentioned picking them up for me. In theory, they should still be here somewhere. Hmm.

I scanned the cobblestone like floor but saw nothing out of the ordinary, apart from a stray wrapper we somehow missed during cleanup. I collected it. The thin ledges around the display cases held nothing. They were not in sight. Bother.

Logically, if they weren't in sight, they were somewhere out of sight. The only spot not visible was by the folded up tables. Sure enough, that's where they were, the dull gray label successfully blending with the floor in the dim lighting. Had someone set them there as we cleaned the tables and forgotten about them? Did they get knocked off the table and went unnoticed? I dunno. The important thing wasthat I had found them again. I could relax and fully enjoy myself here.

I knew it was late and that we had been encouraged to empty out the building but perhaps I had a few minutes to wander around. Maybe I could help the maintenance crew collect the tables, continue volunteering my time.

In the corner of my vision, something moved where there should have been nothing to move. That is the sort of thing that will get your attention in a heartbeat. Had I been facing the display with the fez fella, I may well have momentarily put some stick in the ghost theory. Since I was looking out of Morocco, at the remnants of a hallway display area that was in transition, the ghost idea didn't seem as likely, especially as I didn't think a ghost would be hiding in the shadows behind one of those collectible penny machines.

I walked over to the area, crossing past a temporary 'we are working here' barricade, and getting the buzz of actually being somewhere I shouldn't. This was business so I reasoned it was acceptable. My eyes had not deceived me; there was someone hiding there. “Hello Larry.”

He remained in his hiding position but turned to look up at me. “Hello Patrick.”

“Whatcha doing there?” I asked.

He frowned. “I'm hiding.” There was a certain 'what do you mean, what am I doing?' in his expression.

I guess it was a dumb question. I refined my query. “Why are you hiding?”

He gave me another frown, one that also seemed to question my intelligence. “I'm not telling.”

“Why not?”

“You'll have us kicked out,” he answered.

“To be fair, that's a possibility whether I say something or not,” I observed. “It's not like I'll be the last one through here tonight.”

He considered this for a moment. “Harry and I want to get a reading after everything closes up. The ghost is supposed to show up as things get quieter and the lights go down.”

I sighed. “There are so many reasons I can think of how that won't work. The place is alarmed for one. If they can't get the alarm to go on successfully, they'll come hunting for the reason it won't activate properly.” Honestly I'm not that sure that it works like that but it seemed a more powerful statement than just repeating the idea 'if I spotted you, someone else will too'.

“We don't want to be here all night,” he noted. “Just for awhile once the lights go out.”

I had never really thought about how nights worked at the Museum. Was it just locked up with an alarm? Did security walk around at scheduled times? Was there a cleaning crew working through the night? I didn't know. It wasn't my job to kick him out. I had no authority to do so. Encourage him to leave, sure, but I couldn't really kick him out myself.

“Well, it'll be awhile before the lights go out so you'll be waiting for some time,” I informed.

Famous last words. Everything suddenly went dark. “You were saying?” Larry asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment